Saturday 14 April 2007

Don't call me mom

Just wanted to let you know that Andrew and I have decided to speak American English (Amlish). This doesn't mean that we will be speaking with a Southern drawl, more that we will modify the words that we use. Already Andrew has been speaking in miles and I asked for cookies on the plane. Obviously we will still know about kilometres and biscuits but to ease assimilation we are going to use the American version of words. Though I'm not sure what we are going to do about spelling whether we will drop the silent 'u' in lots of words and whether kilometres is kilometers. We are looking forward to having a bi-lingual child. As long as she calls me mum!

American = Australian
backing = reversing
traffic circle = roundabout
squash = pumpkin
trunk = boot

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear! The spelling thing would really kill me - I still can't get used to "sulfur" instead of sulphur (and I'm a linguist who's supposed to be hip to langauge change!)

Kathryn said...

...Or you could get the equivalent of 'Kaye'... as my son calls me! K :)