Thursday 17 May 2007

The other left

Driving on the other side of the road has not been a difficult transition. We got a few hundred miles practice driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite a couple of years ago. However there are a couple of things that are difficult that you probably wouldn't have picked.

1. When you get to a four way stop sign (yes, they are slow in getting roundabouts here) you have to giveway to the right. Easy in theory but when you get to a stop sign at the same time as the person on your left, you have the right to go first. My brain has trouble with this! I automatically give them right of way.

2. The windscreen wipers are on the right and the indicators on the left. No problem though it took a lot of concentration when it was raining and I needed to put on the wipers and indicate at the same time. The thing that threw me was that the wipers move from right to left rather than left to right.

3. Having looked at 30 houses, been shopping and gone adventuring on weekends we have driven around ALOT! As time goes by my left and right have gotten more and more confused. I see we have to turn right and I say left. Both Andrew and I have gotten left and right confused and even our real estate agent starting saying the wrong way - pointing left and saying right. We got to the point of say left and the other left.

In any case we went for our driving tests today. After 2 hours, an eyesight test, a signs test, a rules test and a practical test we both walked out with our licences. And we got to choose the background of the licence! (choice of aeroplane, lighthouse, state map or state seal)

4 comments:

Cara said...

Well how's that. I did not know that the seal was the state animal of North Carolina. Amazing.

dr maya vale said...

of course, the question is...

how do the licence pics look? or is it only in australia that licence photos are bad?

Cara said...

Although the comment posted at the top is under Cara's name, said person would not be responsible for such tomfoolery and could not believe that I forgot to sign my name at the end. Regards, Caelan (I think)

Fiona said...

Hi Caelan, Thanks for owning up. I had a giggle and was sure it was your dad! Love Lucy