Tuesday 23 March 2010

Recipe of the week: Mac n Cheese

I've probably mentioned before that I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated. I love this magazine/website as they test all of their recipes over and over again until they come up with the perfect recipe. I always get compliments when I cook from their 'make ahead' cook book (French Toast casserole, Creamy chicken and rice casserole). In this case the recipe is for mac and cheese. Something I'd never eaten until arriving in the US. It is a staple here. It is almost its own food group. All kids love it, all adults love it. It is usually served as a side dish on buffets and can be ordered as a main meal for kids. Suffice to say that since being here I've tried lots of mac and cheese. I have to say that this is the BEST mac and cheese. It's not a quick recipe, but none of the Cook's illustrated recipe are quick, they're just good! This one has fontina cheese and a undertone of bacon (while I'm not a bacon fan I loved this) Such a good meal to make lots of and freeze portions for a quick lunch.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Any chance you'd share this recipe? I've only ever made the Kraft instant version (and then only when camping) but I'd love to try the real thing!

cafedave said...

I really don't understand how mac and cheese can be a food group: I guess it's like understanding vegemite toast?

dr maya vale said...

One of the things I did while I was in Oregon was try as many different offerings of Mac & Cheese as I could. Wonderful! (I actually took a photo of one meal, which was almost big enough to have its own zip code!

I'm echoing Julie - I'd also love to try to make the real thing here. What's the closest we have in Australia to Jack cheese?