Thursday 14 February 2008

Netflix Update

Here are the latest movies we've watched. The best one in my opinion, which Andrew decided he didn't want to watch, was 'The Lives of Others'. I just wish we had of seen it before visiting Berlin (not possible of course as it was released in 2007)!

In contrast to last time I reported on Netflix I enjoyed all of the movies listed above.

One of the movies from the previous entry was Wordplay. It is a documentary style film on the New York Times Crossword tournament held annually in Stamford (started long before 'The Office' had a branch there) This inspired me to check out the NYT crossword. I didn't realise there would be such a vast difference in crossword styles between Australia and the US. The US uses a lot of 2 word phrases (without any indication it is a 2 word answer) and also uses a lot of colloquialisms. Having struggled through many of the crosswords I have come to the conclusion it is too big a cultural barrier to jump and I have gone back to doing Australian cross words. (I used to do 'The Australian' crossword on the train between Sutherland and Kogarah stations in the mornings) Maybe after a few more years of living here I will attempt the NYT version again.

1 comment:

cafedave said...

Some awesome movies in that list.

I had similar problems with a book of cryptic crosswords I bought - the times had a lot of UK idiom that I was struggling with!

Maybe it's better *not* to be able to complete a US crossword.