Thursday 4 February 2010

Natural Products: Teeth

One of my many resolutions this year is to steer away from chemicals. We already do this in food and I thought it was time to do so in regard to what we use on our bodies. For a long time I've wondered what the products in hair shampoo actually are and was always vaguely scared to know the real answer. I still don't know the answer to that question but hopefully soon I won't need to know because we'll have moved away from using such things.

My plans in the dental area are big! But given a recent dentist visit I am thinking about the best way forward. In any case I am still going to use the products below but will need to supplement with some other [chemical!#!?] products.

Toothpaste - We are using Tom's of Maine Peppermint toothpaste. Lucy uses their Silly Strawberry brand. Henry uses nothing as he still doesn't have any teeth!

Dental floss- We are using Tom's of Maine Unflavoured flat floss.

Mouth wash - We are using Tom's of Maine Spearmint mouth wash. It's quite a different flavour to what I was used to but after a few uses I am okay with it.

PS For some bizarre reason NC residents can't join the affiliates program at Amazon so I don't get any money if you click on the links and buy anything.

1 comment:

Julie said...

The beauty brains (http://thebeautybrains.com/)are a group of cosmetic chemists who write about what the various ingredients are doing in all kinds of body products. They are not pro-natural products (and very ready to debunk anything that claims to be natural but is not), but I think the info on how each ingredient contributes to the final product is quite objective.

The Rocky Mountain Soap Company (based just outside Calgary) have some excellent natural products. I still use their lip balm and have used soap, insect repellant, and body lotion in the past. Their natural deodorant is OK, but a bit weak for a Sydney summer. Works in winter though.